.
.
.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Romance Layers

Five things on my mind these days.











/\/\ /\ Y /\ - M.I.A.

I don't wanna get lost on your screen except when its hit by a big sunbeam
I want you to know my thought stream, that's why I'm always tr
ying to stay in my dream...

This is one of those things that for far too long I've admired more than actually listened to. I remember being overwhelmed by the whole thing the first time I heard it. A part of me felt like I just couldn't possibly understand it all. And I still feel that way. But the last few days I've been listening it to a lot, and its totally beyond me: peerless, third-world mysterious, difficult, beautiful, uncertain, exotic, demanding. The thing I love most about M.I.A. is the way that she can sound tribal and technological at the same time. There are layers and layers to these songs, but if you only hear them once they'll sound fragmented and incomplete. Tell Me Why, Space, and Caps Lock are my favorites. I can play any one of those on repeat for days.










THE ONLY PART OF THE WORLD I CARE ABOUT


I'm still ridiculously interested in the Middle East, Africa, Oceania, and Lower Asia. There is something about these far-off places that will always fascinate me. Worlds undiscovered, dreams not yet dreamed.














MIRA NAIR

There is something about her- a decisiveness, a precision, that completely demands your attention and overwhelms her work. I recently watched The Namesake for the second time and enjoyed it even more.



GLASS JAR - GANG GANG DANCE

This is the song that gave me the patience for epic music again. Seriously, this song makes me lose it. There are very few things more perfect in this world. (The rest of Eye Contact is equally bewildering. Every time they make a new album, I always want to live there.)












ICED DRINKS


90 degree weather calls for cold drinks. The best around are Coffee Commissary's Iced Cuban, the Cafe Luxxe Iced Vanilla Latte, Lamill's Hong Kong Milk Tea, and Joan's On Third's curiously strong iced coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment