.
.
.

Monday, January 18, 2010

NY10



















New York, United States
40.71617, -74.00726


The city seemed to be fast asleep this weekend. Winter paused, the streets were empty. Visited some old favorites and a few new ones. Here are a few places worth checking out:


1. RICK OWENS - 250 HUDSON ST

Little did I know that the goth/industrial club I was looking for all weekend was actually Rick Owens. I was speechless when I went into this place. It is easily the most amazing shop I've ever been in. The clothes were beyond compare, so dark and so ethereal and so evil. I would have bought one of everything without question. The black woodshop chairs looked like guillotines to me, the walls were a perfect dirty white. Everything from floor to ceiling was just right. Split second feeling, seconds too late..


2. HOSPITAL PRODUCTIONS - 60 EAST 3RD ST

Haven't been to this place since they moved up from the basement. I must admit I miss climbing down the ladder to get here, though. Always an amazing selection, a wall of tapes so high you can't even see the top. Starstruck as always over seeing Dominick there. Could have picked up a lot but just left with Symphony For A Genocide. Best record shop in the city these days.

3. ITO EN - 822 MADISON AVE

Finally found the Ito En flagship store after years of meaning to make it this way. Amazing selection, great packaging, really helpful/friendly staff. Limited myself to three teas: Keiseki Hojicha, Osmanthus Oolong, & Organic Mao Jian. Prices beyond reasonable.

4. BALTHAZAR - 80 SPRING ST

To die for setting- antiqued mirrors, wood, orange accents, high-tied staff. As Gwyneth said, a real Parisian brasserie. You can't go wrong.


5. OPENING CEREMONY - 35 HOWARD ST

One of the absolute best one-stop retailers- a perfect selection that seems to change every time I go there. The Rodarte was front and center- great t-shirts and the men's sweaters are pretty crazy. Love looking at the Chloë stuff they still had left if only to see her name. A part of my heart broke slightly at turning my back to the perfect Band blazer.


6. OTTO - 1 FIFTH AVE

Batali's pizzeria- endless wine list, really great pizza. At first I wanted to do the one with fennel, but I wanted something simple so had the Marinara which had really spicy chiles on it which was unexpected but really really good. Do not leave without getting the Olive Oil Coppetta, which is olive oil gelato, lime curd, concord grape sorbet, blood oranges, and fennel brittle.


7. ODIN - 199 LAFAYETTE ST

This place seems so warm and always has a hunting lodge quality about it to me. I swear there is a fireplace in there somewhere. Excellent hats and love their selection of Engineered Garments. Everything seems perfectly chosen here, nothing extra and nothing out of place.

8. IFC - 323 6TH AVE
Best marquee I've ever seen- Antichrist, Showgirls, & Pierrot Le Fou.

9. BARNEY'S - 660 MADISON AVE
I can still get lost in this place for hours, even went twice in one day. Like magic.

10. CAFE CAFE - 470 BROOME ST
The perfect place to start your day or while away the hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment