.
.
.

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Eleanor Roosevelt, Words















Eleanor Roosevelt

New York City, 1884
First Lady Of The World


Next to Hillary Clinton there is no one else that has been as much of an inspiration to me as Eleanor Roosevelt. I remember the day Hillary gave her Presidential concession speech at the National Building Museum in Washington, DC. June 7, 2008. I spent the day at Val-Kill, Eleanor's home and retreat from 1924 until her death in 1962. Being surrounded by the peace of Val-Kill and Eleanor's unparalleled strength helped me find my own. I couldn't have imagined spending the day anywhere else. I love reading Eleanor's old newspaper column
My Day from time to time and still cannot get over how fearless, determined, and selfless she was. I'm not usually into quotes but hers rise above the usual and become directions for a life well-lived. Here are my favorites:

Do one thing every day that scares you.


Never be bored, and you will never be boring.


The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.


You must do the things you think you cannot do.


I think, at a child's birth, if a mother could ask a fairy godmother to endow it with the most useful gift, that gift should be curiosity.

Never allow a person to tell you no who doesn't have the power to say yes.


No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have the obligation to be one.


When you cease to make a contribution, you begin to die.


I have spent many years of my life in opposition, and I rather like the role.


What one has to do usually can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment