.
.
.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Imitation Of Christ




















Imitation Of Christ

Hairbraids, Backward Ties, And Grief
Spring 2001

I still feel like this show was one of the defining moments in history, certainly in my lifetime. This was Tara Subkoff and Matt Damhave's (with Creative Director Chloë Sevigny) first show as Imitation of Christ. It was held at an East Village funeral parlor with Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me playing while models (mourners?) paid their last respects to a closed casket. Imitation of Christ took vintage clothes and redesigned them, all one of a kind. My favorite thing from this show was the hair braids hanging off of some of the clothing as seen in the first photo below. I also loved the backward tie, and the smeared (from crying) mascara on most of the women. The seriousness of this show is also worth noting, because it never for a second felt like a joke or anything less than sincere. There was also a hint of Buñuel in the 70s to it which I always thought of. Imitation of Christ was such a magical and inspiring thing, just the name alone promised something great.

My friend Sarah and I imagined starting our own label, Imitation of Imitation of Christ, with Kim Deal as our muse and three x's replacing the three crosses on the tags. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, no?

Their next show had the models seated front row while the editors walked the runway. They are probably most famous for their Bring Me The Head Of Tom Ford shirt, but this is the moment I will always remember them for. It was an awakening, something no one could see coming and something no one has seen the likes of since. Like an exploding comet vanishing forever into deep space.


No comments:

Post a Comment